We Are Proud to Be an ABET-accredited Program
Department Mission Statement
The Chemical Engineering Program provides students with a rigorous and experiential education, equipping our graduates with broad technical knowledge and teamwork skills that enable them to engage in life-long learning and make substantial contributions to a global society.
The Chemical Engineering Dept. has four goals for its students:
- Our graduates will succeed in careers requiring strong skills in engineering, science, communication, and teamwork.
- Our graduates will continue to upgrade their technological skills through life-long learning involving self- or group-study.
- Our graduates will conduct their work with an understanding of its global impact and ethical consequences.
- Our graduates will contribute to research and development at the forefront of chemical engineering and related fields.
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
ABET accreditation is a significant achievement. We have worked hard to ensure that our program meets the quality standards set by the chemical engineering profession. And, because it requires comprehensive, periodic evaluations, ABET accreditation demonstrates our continuing commitment to the quality of our program--both now and in the future.
Our accreditation is important to the constituents we serve. It means that:
Our students are ready to practice as soon as they graduate.
Our local employers can count on our program graduates to meet their needs.
The parents of our students can be proud of the education their sons and daughters receive and confident that their time and money were well spent.
Our state licensure, certification, and registration boards know our graduates are prepared to enter the profession.
The postgraduate institutions to which our students apply recognize our program for producing graduates with the skills and attributes required by the profession.
Our institution supports our program and provides the resources needed to sustain it.